Monday, April 13, 2015

A Modest Proposal for Conserving Water in the California Drought

One important thing people can do, especially men, is not to change or wash their socks every day. That could save a lot of water. Here's a scenario: A car salesman who works five days a week and wears his socks ten to twelve hours a day goes to the shoe store on a Friday afternoon. The shoe salesman takes off one of his dress shoes and wrinkles his nose at the pungent aroma wafting off his socked foot. "I've been wearing these for six days in a row," the car guy proudly announces. "I can tell you're not used to socks that stink this bad." "Actually, your feet are average," the shoe salesman says. "Yesterday I helped a guy who's been wearing his socks for ten days. Fleet salesman from the dealership down the street. The stench damn near singed my nose hairs. But even his feet weren't the smelliest." The car salesman is glad to know he's not the only man to wear and sweat up dirty socks to conserve water.

May 4 update

Although conserving water wasn't on his mind and it was before the current drought, this guy tried not only wearing the same pair of socks for two weeks in a row. And he's a self-described heavy sweater. The average pair of shod feet emit as much as a pint of sweat per day. How much do his feet produce? And imagine if the water vapor from people's feet could be captured and condensed for drinking.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/rakeshsharma/2014/03/06/the-story-of-my-experiments-with-a-dress-shirt-and-a-pair-of-socks/

http://community.runnersworld.com/topic/wet-shoes-andamp-socks-from-sweat

 I am the sweatingest person I have ever encountered. This time of year my shoes are squishy by 7 miles and by 10 miles there is literally a steady stream of water squeezing out through the fabric of my shoes and running down the sides.

The long tube socks...don't really help either. In some cases, I found that made it worse because there's more sock to retain water. I've learned to deal with it. Plus it's cool to watch the sweat fly from my shoe with each step. I like to see the sweat drops all over the sidewalk that I am creating lol.


https://vimeo.com/74063733

No comments: