NEW COMBAT BOOTS
One day a jeep came up close and delivered a pile of new type boots and heavy woolen socks. They were kinda like “one size fits all” because the woolen socks were so heavy the boot would mold to any size foot. They are called ‘Shoe Pacs’. The uppers are leather sewn to rubber lowers. A blending of boots and shoes. In other days we could wear galoshes—some had zippers if you were lucky and some were heavier with snaps. The new boots would take the place of these. For a few days that is.They were so very warm and comfortable, but your feet would sweat profusely. In about three days the woolen socks were wringing wet with your sweat making it necessary to take them off so that you could wring out the socks. SO help me God, I am telling you the truth. After wringing the socks they’d feel really comfortable. In a day’s time your feet would be sloshing in the sweat again. It was a well-intended gift to us but there developed another problem. Trench foot. We were ordered to massage each other’s feet regularly. That’s one order that fell on its face. I didn’t massage anyone else’s feet. I could take care of my own!
In combat a GI never removed his clothes .His shoes remained and only rarely were you given time to remove your shoes. Frozen feet now in this winter was a common problem. The shoe pak was a big help until you heard and felt the squish squish of your sweat soaked socks. It was like walking on slime. The large boots and sweaty socks gave a skating rink feeling. Your feet became wrinkled as if you were wading in hot water too long. Your feet were in a “sauna bath” all the time. The warm sweaty sock was perfect for bacterial growth. You can guess the rest. Still, for me, I simply removed my shoes and socks, while sitting on my helmet; I’d take off the socks and wring the sweat out for another day. I’ll bet each sock yielded a tea cup full of fluid. I still appreciated the heavy socks and the warmth provided.
Frost bite casualties were rising. The order to massage was enforced to help prevent greater numbers of black toes and feet. The toll was rising. Trench foot was equal to each side. It would have been wonderful to have an extra ‘back up ‘ pair of those heavy socks.
No comments:
Post a Comment